Whether used for personal or business reasons, email has become an important part of our everyday lives in the modern world. And since our email accounts include a lot of sensitive information and important emails, we must keep them safe. By routinely changing our passwords, we may do this in one of the most effective methods.
Nevertheless, it happens frequently since we have many passwords for different accounts. This post explains how to reset Google password in a few easy steps.
How to Reset Your Gmail Password?
Changing your Gmail password periodically is a good practice to keep your messages and account settings private. However, it can be easy to forget your password if you change it frequently. Follow the steps mentioned below:
If you have forgotten your Gmail account password and cannot log in, there are several ways to reset it. The first method is to use Gmail forgot password option. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Go to the Gmail login page
Open your web browser and go to the Gmail login page at https://www.gmail.com. Enter your Gmail email address in the space provided and click the ‘Next’ button.
Step 2: Click on Forgot Password
Underneath the password field, you will see the ‘Forgot password?’ link. Click on this link.
Step 3: Enter your Gmail email address
Enter your Gmail email address once more and press the ‘Next’ button.
Step 4: Verify your identity
Google will request that you verify your identity. You can accomplish this using either your recovery phone number or your recovery email address. Choose one of these options if you have access to the recovery phone number or email, and Google will send you a verification code. Insert the code in the provided space and press the ‘Next’ button.
Step 5: Create a new password
You will be required to create a new password after validating your identity. Use a strong and unique password that you have never used before. Fill up the ‘New password’ and ‘Confirm new password’ sections with the new password.
Step 6: Click on Change Password
After entering your new password, click the ‘Change Password’ button. Your Gmail password has been reset, and you have been redirected to the Gmail login page.
How to Reset Your Gmail Password Using Account Recovery?
If you are unable to remember your Gmail password and have tried all possible combinations, you may need to reset it to access your important emails. To do this, you must have a registered backup email or mobile phone number associated with your account, as Google needs to send a confirmation code for the password reset.
If you do not have one of these requirements, Google will prompt you to retry logging in, which can be frustrating. The only exception is if you have previously logged in on that device, in which case Google will display the new password option automatically, regardless of whether you entered a password or not. Here’s how to reset your password:
To reset your Gmail account password using Google password recovery, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Google Account Recovery” page.
- Enter the email address you want to access and click “Next”.
- If the prompt appears, click “Try another way”.
- Request a verification code through your linked mobile phone number or backup email. If you only have one of these options, Google will automatically send the code to it.
- Enter the verification code and click “Next”.
- Create a new password and confirm it in the “Change Password” screen. Then, click “Save password”.
- After saving your new password, you will be redirected to the Security Checkup screen. Click “Continue”.
- You will now be taken to your “Google Account” page, and your new password will be active.
How to change your Gmail password when you already know it?
If you can access your account and know your current password, resetting it is a simple process that involves clicking a link.
- Access the Gmail login page by opening your web browser and entering “https://www.gmail.com”. Then, provide your Gmail email address in the designated field and click the ‘Next’ button.
- Enter your current password and click on the ‘Next’ button to log in to your Gmail account.
- Once you have successfully logged in, locate your profile picture at the top right corner of the screen, and click on it. From the dropdown menu that appears, select ‘Manage Your Google Account’.
- On the Google Account page, select ‘Security’ from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Scroll down to the “Signing in to Google” section, and select ‘Password’.
- Google may require you to verify your identity before proceeding. If prompted, follow the steps to verify your identity through your recovery phone number or email address.
- Once your identity has been confirmed, you will be prompted to create a new password. Be sure to choose a strong and unique password that you have not used before, and enter it in both the ‘New password’ and ‘Confirm new password’ fields.
- Click on the ‘Change Password’ button to confirm the changes. Your Gmail password will now be updated.
Recovering a lost Gmail password can be frustrating, but Google offers several methods to help you regain access. It’s important to take proper security steps to prevent password-related issues.